We are involved with industry associations in North America and globally to share RPI best practices, successes, challenges and lessons learned with our peers. We seek to demonstrate continuing industry leadership by participating in the creation and establishment of industry benchmarks, and working with our peers committed to RPI to advance the environmental and social performance of commercial real estate. We continue to support our industry associations in their advocacy and outreach efforts in areas that affect our business, but do not engage directly in lobbying. Through industry associations we may also participate in research efforts that may inform policymakers.
how we engage
- Our employees are members and leaders of industry associations including the Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA), Urban Land Institute (ULI), Institute for Real Estate Management (IREM), Real Estate Institute of Canada (REIC), US Green Building Council (USGBC), Canada Green Building Council (CaGBC), the Real Property Association of Canada (REALpac), the Commercial Real Estate Development Association (NAIOP), National Council of Real Estate Investment Fiduciaries (NCREIF), Pension Real Estate Association (PREA) and the National Association of Real Estate Investment Managers (NAREIM). In addition, our employees are involved in many other local and regional initiatives.
- We are a signatory to the United Nations Principles of Responsible Investment (UN PRI) and provide detailed annual public disclosure.
- We are members of the United Nations Environment Program Finance Initiative’s (UNEP FI) Property Working Group and the North American Task Force (NATF).
- We encourage our staff to participate in conferences by making presentations or participating on panels to share best practices related to RPI and sustainability.
- We are active participants on REALpac’s CR&S Committee, providing input on research documents.
how we responded in 2015
- We attended the UNEP FI annual general meeting in Paris in 2015. We continued our active participation in the Property Working Group and the NATF. Our participation included contributing to the strategic direction of both the Property Working Group and the NATF, and helping to define future research initiatives. We were also the lead author of a UNEP FI paper on energy efficiency financing which was published in March 2014.
- We participated in the Global Real Estate and Sustainability Benchmark (GRESB), a global survey of the environmental performance of property portfolios managed and produced by the GRESB Foundation. We also provided detailed feedback to the GRESB Foundation to further improve the survey and the benchmark to help improve the reliability of the benchmark for the real estate industry and investors globally.